Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Family Connection

My dad and I just got back from spending a couple of days with his sister in Hickory, NC. Our trip was cut a little short due to the threat of snow, but it was great to see my aunt and uncle. One of the big reasons I was excited about this trip is that my aunt has many of the old photos from my dad's side of the family. I knew she had a lot of stuff, but I was not prepared for the huge volume of great photos, letters, and other documents from our family's history. I came back with so many great images to paint from that I don't think I can get them painted fast enough. I would love to share every image that I have, but sifting through 150 or so images of my family might not be as interesting to you as it is to me, so instead here are a few favorites.You can expect these and many others to become paintings very soon!

I think this photo is my absolute favorite in the bunch. This is my grandparents, we are guessing on top of the Empire State Building. It reminds me so much of On the Town, one of my absolute favorite movies. Granted, Pop was not in the Navy, and I doubt they broke into a song and dance number after this picture was snapped, but it really has the air of "soldier on leave meeting up with his girl in the big city."
This is my dad, around age 5. He just always seemed like such a happy go lucky kid. Plus I love the empty milk bottles out on the porch waiting for the milk man.

There was an entire stack of photos of my Grandmother and her friends in their dorm room at LaGrange College in LaGrange, GA. I knew that my grandmother went to college, but I guess I never thought about her goofing around in the dorm with her friends, taking crazy pictures in their pajamas. It makes me realize that at one point in her life, she was much like me.




My grandparents and my aunt outside of their house. I am assuming she is pregnant with my dad. I love the old car in the shot, and the very classic American family moment.

I have no idea who these folks are, but isn't it an amazing shot?

No comments: