Monday, March 15, 2010

A day at the beach


A couple weeks ago I posted this photo along with several others that I found on my recent trip to Hickory. The woman who is second from the right is my great-grandmother on my father's side. My interest in vintage fashion doesn't usually run this far back, but I absolutely adore this photograph and could hardly wait to start painting it.

I am not finished yet, but I am in love with this piece already. The various styles and details on their bathing suits are great (yes, in fact they are bathing suits!) This would have been around the late 1800's to the early 1900's. Women's bathing clothes were very similar to their everyday clothing styles, except with a few less layers, and women began to show off their arms and sometimes ankles (shocking!) I am still debating how much of the red background to leave in the piece. I like the idea of it just peeking through around the edges, but I may change my mind.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: