Monday, January 16, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Wonder Woman

Source
People who are familiar with my art already know that I love Wonder Woman. I have painted her several times, and even turned my sister into her during one of my recent paper doll shoots.


If there is anyone I wanted to be when I was younger, it was Linda Carter from the 70's Wonder Woman tv series. (Why? I have two words for you: Invisible jet)

And, I find comic book art in itself pretty fascinating to look at, so I spent a little time recently studying the origins of Wonder Woman. She was initially created by William Moulton Marston in 1941. His reason, he said, for creating Wonder Woman was:

 Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype 
lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they
 don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good 
women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised 
because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a 
feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the
 allure of a good and beautiful woman.[7]

The thing I found most interesting about Marston was that he was also the inventor of the polygraph (perhaps the source of his idea for Wonder Woman's lasso of truth?).

I will leave you, appropriately enough, as the Republican candidates for president are currently in my state, with one of my favorite Wonder Woman covers, and my candidate for our next president.
Source

ShareThis

No comments: