Monday, August 6, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Tillie the Toiler


Source
I have decided that Mondays could use a little inspirational push, so I am going to restart my "Inspiration Monday" posts. If you come across a new source of inspiration that you would like to see on the blog, please let me know!

Today's inspiration came from my endless search for vintage paper dolls. Some of you may have heard of her, but this was my first introduction to Tillie the Toiler. Tillie was a comic strip, drawn by cartoonist Russ Westover, that ran from 1921 until 1959.

Although she worked as a stenographer, Tillie's real toil appears to have been flirting with scores of men and dressing in the latest fashions. 

The strip also included some Tillie the Toiler paper dolls, which although beautiful to look at, seem like they would be amazingly hard to cut out. I do love her poses, though. They give a lot of clues to her personality, even if you haven't read the comic strip. I have copied a few of my favorite Tillie pages below.
Source



ShareThis

No comments: