Thursday, August 2, 2007

Hello all. I spent last night catching up with some friends who I hadn't seen in a while, so no painting. However, I thought I would share a thought with you. I was drinking a bottle of tea several days ago, and it was one of those brands that puts quotes under the lid. This specific bottle had a quote from Van Gogh, which said "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." Besides being slightly surprised to find this quote on a bottle of tea, I thought it was such a beautiful and inspiring idea. There is nothing harder for me personally than to make myself paint when I don't feel "good enough", or when I'm not "up to it." Even though painting is the thing I love to do the most, there are days when it is an incredible struggle. But, it is often on those days when I don't feel inspired, but am able to overcome it that I feel the most satisfaction in my work. Often it is not inspiration that brings about good work, but the work itself that brings about inspiration.

No comments: