Monday, October 15, 2012

Inspiration Monday: The mind of a 4th grader

I have been teaching my 4th grade art classes about Frida Kahlo. Last week, we looked at a portrait she did of herself and Diego Rivera following their wedding. We discussed her Mexican dress, the traditional way she had her hair braided on top of her head, and how happy she must have felt.

We also looked at one of Kahlo's last self portraits. She looked sick and sad, and the kids noticed that her dress was not as bright and her hair was loose on her shoulders.

For school, I usually wear my hair pulled back to keep it out of my way. (Those of you who know me know that I have a LOT of hair.) But this morning I left it down. One of my kids, as she walked in the room, said "your hair looks different, Ms. Clarke." I said that was probably because I had left it down. Another student followed that comment with, "is it because you are sad?"

------------------
I love how the mind of a 4th grader works. How many adults would have connected my hair being down with a portrait of Frida Kahlo, and wondered if we shared the same emotion because of it?

On a separate note, a student in my next class told me that maybe when I was dead students would study my work...

Thanks.

No comments: