Tuesday, July 24, 2012

On Her Wedding Day

11"x 14"
Watercolor on Paper

I know I have said on multiple occasions that I am not a watercolor painter. The way you have to approach creating a watercolor is totally different from how you approach creating an oil painting. And I am just stubborn enough to not want to change how I do things. 

But, doing paper dolls in watercolor on paper solves a few problems that I have had difficulty overcoming on canvas. When I create my dolls, I draw and ink the figure first. Then, I lay another sheet of paper over the top of the figure and use it as a guide to draw the clothes. I can't do this with an oil on canvas. Instead I have to create a pattern of the doll and trace it on the canvas, which, no matter how careful I am, doesn't ever make an exact copy. 

So, I have been trying to hone my watercolor skills. I still have some things to work on, but I LOVE this painting. This was just a piece that worked well from start to finish (which does not happen as often as I would like).

Also, the big news for the day is that you can now purchase greeting cards, postcards, and matted prints of this and my other recent watercolor paper dolls in my Red Bubble Shop. New images, sizes, and products will be coming soon!

ShareThis

No comments: