Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Boarding for Adventure


This piece is not finished, but it has been taking up so much of my time recently that I wanted to share it.

I don't know why I love this photo so much. The composition is not great, and the people it was intended to capture are barely in it (I believe the hat disappearing into the door of the plane is my grandmother.) But there is something exciting and glamorous about the idea of getting dressed up for a flight and boarding the plane out on the runway instead of through those claustrophobic little tunnels. I wonder where all these folks were going, and who they were. I can't help but make up stories about the business men in suits on the bottom right, and the woman in the middle of the stairs holding a child.

And there is something I love about taking a normal, everyday snapshot and turning it into a large piece of art. Once again, this is a fairly large canvas, recycled from my college days. My next step is to add in the various logos on the plane. I don't typically like painting in words or logos, but in this case, the plane is such an important part of the piece that I think they are necessary. I'll post another update on this one soon.


ShareThis
Posted by Picasa

No comments: